Academic Life

Academic Life

Academic goals

Our aim is to produce well-rounded pupils with a love of learning and an enthusiasm for life. We expect the boys to work hard and be active participants in their lessons, but we place equal importance on the boys becoming involved in the extra-curricular activities at school.

We want our pupils to enjoy their time at school and we believe that one of the best ways to achieve this is by providing stimulating, challenging lessons. The boys are encouraged to think for themselves, to engage fully in class discussions and to take pride in their work. We aim to foster a love of learning in all our pupils.

We prepare the boys for entry to senior schools at age thirteen either by the Common Entrance examination or scholarship examinations. Entry to Westminster (“The Great School”) is not automatic for Under School boys, but approximately 80% of our pupils go on to the senior school, with the other 20% going on to schools like Eton, Winchester or City of London. Some will sit The Challenge, Westminster’s scholarship examination, and for many years Under School boys have enjoyed considerable success in the scholarship examinations of Westminster, Eton and Winchester.